- Christine Heller created an exhibit called “Truth is the Only Safe Ground to Stand Upon: Portraits of NY State Suffragists.”
- The exhibit consisted of her drawings based on photographs of women suffragists in New York.
- Many of the drawings were of women who were erased from our history.
The Ithaca Art Trail features the studios of 30 local artists.
The studios are free to visit, and engaging with the artists is encouraged.
Two of the artists on the trail are Dede Hatch, and Barbara Mink.
Dede Hatch was introduced to photography by her father, who was in the military. He used photography to document his travels. Living in Hawaii for a few years was another catalyst for her photography.
Hatch enjoys taking pictures of all kinds of subjects, and she finds it difficult to categorize herself as one type of photographer.
“I’m just drawn to things that I see that might have interesting light, just sort of everyday ordinary whats in front of me events,” says Hatch who works out of her studio in an old factory building on Dey Street in Ithaca.
Nature, streams of light, and her dog are all frequently portrayed in her pictures.
Applefest. An event that ignites excitement in Ithaca College students, and local residents. My friends, and I have talked about this event since we’ve returned to Ithaca in August. Applefest truly has something for everyone, and this year was no different.
Applefest was held September 29th-October 1st in downtown Ithaca, NY. As the name implies, there are tons of local farms selling apples and apple-related products. Apple cider, apple wine, apple pie, and even apple pizza are just a few of the delicious apple-based items you can purchase at the festival. Baked goods, and fresh produce grown by local farmers are also available.
- Ithaca Dogfest was held from 10:00-2:00 pm on September 23rd, 2017 in Cass Park.
- The event was created by Bo’s Bones, an organic dog biscuit company.
- The event is “Bringing together Canine Rescue groups with adopters and dog lovers. Featuring adoptable dogs, dog services, plus human/canine service groups. And awesome shopping for your dog and you too!” (Description courtesy of the Facebook event)